Formative assessments alongside a summative assessment with an evaluation of a zoo enclosure and practices based upon content delivered.
Mixture of practical and theory (50:50).
A deep understanding of the zoo-keeping industry and the opportunity to develop key practical skills to either go into the world of work or to FE/HE.
PPE provided (overalls)
Trip to Wingham Wildlife Park.
We have significant resources here at Hadlow in our animal unit, unlike any other nearby. We also have extremely experienced staff, one with several years working within various collections across the UK.
Members of the public interested in a career in the industry.
Day 1 & 2
- Tour of facilities + icebreakers. History of zoos and animal welfare. Research in zoos. (Theory)
- Husbandry of exotics. Nutrition of exotics. (Practical)
Day 3 & 4
- Training demos. Training Techniques. Training Tasks. (Practical and Theory)
- Enrichment in zoos. Practical Enrichment Building
Days 5 & 6
- Zoo and aquarium legislation. Enclosure design. (Theory)
- Zoo trip with task. (Assessed)