Kent 16+ Travel Card

To be eligible for a KCC 16+ Travel Card (16+T/C) you must be:

  • a student aged 16-19 years
  • live in a house where council tax is paid to Kent County Council, or be a residential student at Hadlow College, if you are outside of the KCC council tax boundary.

Applying Online

Please visit for the 2018/19 online application process and current prices. To guarantee a travel card for the beginning of the academic year, please apply between 4th June 2018 and 13th July 2018. At peak times of the year, cards can take up to six weeks to be returned to College, where they should be collected by the student during or after the enrolment period. You will need to upload a clear, passport-style image of the student, which will appear on the 16+T/C. We can only release the card once payment has been arranged or financial support agreed.

Payment for Kent 16+ T/C

Payment for the Kent 16+ Travel Card will need to be made at the time of application to KCC. However, if you are applying for financial support, please contact for further assistance.

Financial Support

If you have a household income of under £30,000 and are on a full time course, you can apply for financial assistance by completing the Financial Support Application Form, sent to you by post on acceptance of a place at College, or available from our Admissions or Student Support Services departments. Please read the guidance notes carefully and ensure that you provide the correct evidence so that we can assess the application as quickly as possible. We will notify you of our decision within four weeks of receiving the application at Hadlow campus, (it may be longer during the busy summer period depending on number of applications received). If an application is successful, the College will reimburse the cost of the 16+T/C in two instalments.

Late applications will have to self-fund until the card arrives at College. Please contact for further details. 

All awards are based on attendance levels and adherence to College rules and regulations. In the event that a student withdraws from the course, the 16+T/C must be returned to Hadlow College, otherwise the family will be invoiced for the amount due.

Alternatives to the Kent 16+ Travel Card

Students who do not qualify for the 16+T/C may like to visit and apply for a discounted South East Student Saver Ticket (available with the promotional code issued from mid-August onwards). Canterbury students should visit for current ticket prices and offers. For students studying at our Mottingham and Greenwich campuses, please visit Transport for London's website for more information.

Hadlow campus students can also obtain discounted fares on local bus routes 7 and 77 by showing their Hadlow College Student ID card.