Grants and Bursaries

You may, due to your circumstances or the subjects you are looking to study, be eligible for certain grants and bursaries. These may not need to be paid back and, whilst some are means-tested (i.e. based on income or some other criteria) others are open to everyone regardless of circumstance. Our dedicated Student Finance Officer is available to help with applications, and more information about each is listed below.

Childcare Grant (administered by Student Finance England)

This is intended to help with childcare costs if you have dependent children aged under 15 (or under 17 if they have special educational needs) in registered or approved childcare. You can get 85% of childcare costs. The maximum support you can receive is:

  • up to £164.70 a week for 1 child
  • up to £282.36 a week for 2 or more children

This is intended to help with course-related costs if you have dependent children and is linked to your household income. Currently up to £1,669 per year.

This is intended to help with costs if an adult depends on you financially and is linked to your household income. You can get up to £2,925 per year

Designed for those UK undergraduates who are in severe financial need, this Fund is open to both full and part-time students. The Fund opens each academic year, usually from October until the summer term, subject to sufficient funds (usually May/June), with assessment on an individual basis.

Created in memory of the first Principal of Hadlow College, this bursary is designed to assist undergraduate students (both full-time and part-time) who are in financial difficulties. Mainly aimed at supplementing other forms of student finance it can be used for books, equipment, study tours and dissertations.

Open to undergraduate students with a household income of less than £25,000 per annum, this scholarship comprises £1,000 on your Aspire@Greenwich card, plus £1,000 fee waiver. More information is available on the University of Greenwich website, but there is no need to apply - eligible students will be contacted through the portal email.

Designed for students aged 16-25, typically grants here are between £1,000 and £3,000 to help with vocational courses, in particular equestrian studies. More details on this are on the Bedgebury website.

There are several scholarships open to Hadlow College horticultural students, with the full details on their website. Students can apply for the College Scholarship, which is designed to support one to three horticultural students annually; the Garden Centre Group Scholarship for two students up to £1,500, with the winners offered paid weekend and/or holiday work in the Garden Centre or the Floranova Ornamental Horticulture Research Scholarship which is designed for students who are keen to develop a research career in horticulture. This Scholarship pays up to £1,500.

This will provide up-to £2,000 for horticulture students, which they can use towards course fees or accommodation. More information is available on the Garden Centre Association website.

This one off payment of £1,500 is aimed at further education students who are planning on progressing to higher education the next year. As a single award it is designed to give students who may struggle to progress because of financial circumstances or disabilities the opportunity to study at a higher level. Information is available on their website.

Offering £1,000 a year for up to three years of a degree course, the Kent County Agricultural Society award this bursary to students who live in Kent who are starting a degree in the following subjects Agriculture, Horticulture, Forestry, Equine, Veterinary, Animal Management or Environment & Conservation. More information is available on the KCAS website.

Designed for students (both male and female) who are living, and studying, in Kent on a higher educational programme. Applications can be made between June and September through Student Support Services.

Various grants and bursaries are available from the Royal Horticultural Society for horticultural projects, study visits and work placements. Further information can be found on the RHS website.

These grants help cover the additional costs for disabled students whilst studying both further and higher education programmes. The costs must relate to the disability in relation to the course. Information on this is available on their website.

Up to £2,000 as a grant to assist students with the costs of undertaking land-based courses. Applicants need to be British nationals and aged between 18 and 30. More information is available on their website.