Financial Support

At Hadlow College we believe that finance should not be a barrier to learning. For students studying on a Further Education programme, we have a number of financial support schemes in place to support you through financial difficulties, including;

  • Non-residential Bursary for Travel
  • Residential Bursary (RBF) for College Accommodation
  • Course Related Costs (essential college items)
  • Free College Meals
  • Vulnerable Bursary (Children in Care/Care Leavers)
  • Childcare Costs 

Some of the above funds are based on specific government criteria and eligibility requirements.

If you or your family are on low income, where household income, including some means-tested benefits, is less than £30,000 gross per annum, you can apply for financial support from bursary funds towards the cost of travel or college accommodation, essential course related costs such as uniform, and childcare costs (see also for those aged under 20 years).  

Assessment is based on the completion of the appropriate Non-residential Financial Support Form or Residential Bursary Fund Form available from Admissions (or by emailing and submission of evidence as indicated on the form. Awards will be delayed if incomplete evidence is submitted.

All discretionary awards made by the College are subject to eligibility and attendance levels. Where funding is awarded for travel, attendance levels are checked before each monthly payment is made, (where a payment is applicable).

Please note that there are limits to the awards, although appeals will be considered under exceptional circumstances.

For more information on Financial Support for University programmes, visit the University Centre pages.

Non-Residential Bursary for Travel and Course-Related Costs

Non-residential students can apply for financial support to help with travel expenses and course related costs. Students who live more than two miles away from the College, may be eligible for funding to contribute to travel costs while they are at College. If you are not eligible for the Kent 16+ Travel Saver, you will receive funding to you by BACs based on the cost of a 4-weekly/monthly ticket. The maximum funding given for travel for the academic year is £1500.

You can apply to receive a contribution to costs for essential books, equipment or specialist clothing (such as protective overalls, for example).

The application form and guidance notes can be found below. Completed applications can be handed directly to Student Support Services at your campus, or sent via post to Hadlow College, Tonbridge Road, Hadlow, Kent. TN11 0AL for the attention of Student Support Services (Bursaries). Please note we that we cannot accept liability for any applications that may get lost in the post. 

Incomplete applications will not be processed and the College is unable to backdate funding where there has been a delay due to incomplete information. If applications are received without the required evidence, the Student Support team will contact the applicant by telephone, email and/or letter. If a response is not received within two weeks, the application for financial support will be filed until contact is made by the applicant.

To request support with the cost of College accommodation you will need to apply to the Residential Bursary Fund. Successful awards from the RBF will cover the cost of 80% of the residential fees. Financial assistance is awarded according to household income and to qualify it must be less than £30,000 (gross per annum). You will automatically be assessed for free meals if the evidence of appropriate benefits is submitted with the accommodation and RBF application forms. For further details on the application process, please call 01732 853674

Free meals are targeted at disadvantaged students. The definition of those eligible to receive them can be found here:

Assessment is based on the completion of the appropriate Non-residential Financial Support Form or Residential Bursary Fund Form available from Admissions (or by emailing Awards will be delayed if incomplete evidence is submitted.

Vulnerable students aged 16-18 years (or 19+ if they are continuing on their course and those with an EHCP) who meet the following criteria may apply for a bursary of up to £1,200.

  • In care/Care Leaver (Local Authority or appropriate letter required as evidence)
  • In receipt of income support, or Universal Credit in place of income support in their own right
  • In receipt of Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) or Universal Credit (UC) and Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or Personal Independence Payments (PIP) in their own right
More information is available here:

To apply for this bursary students must complete the application form and provide documentary evidence of meeting the criteria, e.g. a letter from the relevant local authority or award notice for the eligible benefit.

Applicants will be required to meet with a member of Student Support to complete an assessment form and to identify other support required. Please note that this will be assessed on financial need to attend college and is not guaranteed or an entitlement.
If you are in case, or a care leaver, additional support is available to you. For more information call 01732 853674 or email our designated member of staff.

Your Local Education Authority may be able to help you financially, for example with your travel costs.

Please contact your LEA directly for more information.